Sunday, August 19, 2007

Philip K. Dick


For much of last year I was fascinated by the film A Scanner Darkly. Not so much for the plot, which I understand was closely based on the original Philip K. Dick 1977 novel, more for the wonderful rotoscope technique used by director Richard Linklater. I loved the look of the film, much more than the content, which I guess labels me as a true member of the Marshall McLuhan generation.

Anyway, back to Philip K. Dick. He wrote some fascinating and influential stuff back in the '60's and '70's (do the films “Total Recall,” “Minority Report,” “A Scanner Darkly,” “Blade Runner” ring any bells?) and last week The New Yorker site ran a terrific overview of the author and his work. I read a lot of these books in the '70's (Dick died in 1982), and I'm surprised just how much of his whole approach to science fiction genre has stuck with me over the years.

Check out The New Yorker article by Adam Gopnik article here.

3 Comments:

Blogger spleenal said...

theres a A Scanner Darkly film book which is just hundreds of stills from the film

11:33 AM  
Blogger dylan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Bobby.N said...

The movie's asthetic was teriific - though the story hamstrung it. (In my view).

I turned it off after about 40 mins, after the 'theory' (as opposed to 'story') started to put me to sleep.

Still nice to watch for what it is.

Bobby.N

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home