Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Extreme Sports...

It's hard to underestimate the impact Underground Comics had on me when I first discovered these little devils in the early '70's. While Robert Crumb quickly became the big name to throw around, it was the graphic design of Victor Moscoso and Rick Griffen that really blew me away, and I even tried surfing (once, it nearly killed me) thanks to those two guys. Heaven knows why...

But the artist who left the greatest impression on my small, immature mind was S. Clay Wilson, handsdown. If ever there was a comic artist who's work represented everything extreme, over-the-top, and with absolutely no redeeming social qualities whatsoever it had to be this guy, and I still remember my absolute shock and delight on discovering The Checkered Demon for the first time.

That's why I've been following the news of his recent accident with interest. About a month ago S. Clay Wilson was found unconscious in the street with serious brain damage, probably following a drunken fall. It's been touch and go since then, but this Underground Comics genius is now out of intensive care and making a slow but gradual recovery. While it sounds like he has a long way still to go, this is good news indeed. Read about his recovery here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home